Thursday, August 4, 2011

The 1980s was beautiful

Got this off of a friend's Facebook status:

When I was a kid, I didn't have a laptop, iPod, Blackberry, PS3 or iPad. I played outside with friends, bruised my knees, made up stories and played hide and seek. I ate what my mom/caretaker made. I would think twice before I said "no" to my parents. Life wasn't hard, it was good and I survived. Re-post this if you appreciate the way you were raised. I think we were happier kids. :)

Wouldn't you agree? I would agree that we were much much happier kids. Not saying that kids nowadays aren't happy but it is universally agreed that during my time, and even my parents' time, things were a lot simpler and the demands were minute as compared to kids' wants now. Playstation 3, Xbox, iPhone, iPad, macbook, expensive accessories and not to mention the make-up these kids are wearing! When I was 16 years old I was in rags, doll. I wore what my mom bought me and I wore them proudly. Sure there were times when I wanted more than what was given but at the mention of No from mom would have already shut me up and that was that.

Alhamdulillah, I'm not complaining. I am actually quite glad I was brought up they way I did because I am proud of who I am today. I earned the things that I demanded from my parents, even to ask for a cassette player would require me to study hard - the condition was always to get class positions between 1 to 5 (or 10 as I got higher) and then they'd buy me what I want. But nowadays, all you have to do is whine and scream and the next thing you know, you'll be getting that iPad 2 because your first iPad's processor was cramping your style!

Well, psychologically, it is good that parents these days are meeting their kids' demands. For some kids, who aren't spoilt and still want to listen eventhough millions of dollars have been spent for them, they're fine. On the other hand, those kids who want things just so that they could show off to their friends. SubhanAllah. Imagine the kind of people they are growing up to be. I dislike kids who like to show it off to their friends when they have those things that their friends have always dreamt to have. I don't get why they need to do that. Nowadays, humility and being humble are lost arts that are treated like they were meant for neanderthals.

Do you not know that when you show off to people, and they dislike it, you get a step far away from jannah? And the same goes to when you show off to somebody and they get jealous. Envy, though as small as a sesame seed, is still the biggest sin a person can commit. Combine these two together and what do you get? A world less harmony, filled with people who hate each other. Now, is this the kind of world that we want to live in?

In order to be able to live with peace and harmony, one has to practice being the bigger person by being humble, kind, trustworthy and you name it, it's all the characters that equal to GOOD. You always can possess things that are expensive but there are ways to have them in your hands. When you buy these things, let it be that you're buying them because you are spending in the name of Allah because He has given you abundance of rizq. With the right niat and intention, surely people would love to hear more about your purchase and not the other way round.

How about from now on, we keep it as simple as we can and go towards the path that would bring us closer to our Creator hmm? Start with Bismillah, rest assured everything will change for the better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment