Monday, January 2, 2012

When Families Kinect

Nothing feels better than having to spend the start of the New Year with family members and relatives.

I am so very thankful for being given the chance to wake up and breathe again this year. All my prayers go to my late grandmothers, my aunts and my cousins for though they aren’t here with us today, the very thought of them and how I’ve spent all those past years with them will forever be etched in my heart.

Family is precious. Functional or non-functional, the mere linearity of being connected to one another and being there for each other at times of need or otherwise is always one to be cherished no matter how mind-numbingly annoying our hard times can get. Because at the end of each day, we will always be our own flesh and blood.

Alhamdulillah.

2011 was very good. I started it similarly like yesterday. We had a BBQ brunch, which was followed by a game of volleyball that involved all of us (I sat on my aunt’s gate while watching them play but I collected their faraway flung balls so technically I am still part of the volley team right?) I also remember waiting anxiously to be called for work for three months, which worked out well as by March I was already called for a temp. I sat for two temp jobs, one I liked better than the other but both similarly had given me the best experience a girl can ever wish for. Totally worked out for the better with this one I’m rolling.

I think 2011 kind of revolved so much on work that it made social and family time far more precious than ever before. Personally, nothing is better than having to just sit for a cuppa whilst talking about life’s journeys and getting things out of my way with a good conversation with those who share similar values. I can safely say that I grew up so much last year that this year I wish I could skip being 27,28 and 29 and just be 30 already! It’s always good to be able to take control of your own self, no?

But through all those things that I went through last year, nothing beats the many things I learnt about trying to be a good Muslimah. I have shared some of them here and they relate similarly to the simplicity of life and much to my knowing surprise, there are a lot of common sense that relates to the Quran and Hadiths that have been ignored for all these years. I learnt that the things that we do every single day is not something that is “in trend” for just that season. I learnt that during the days of the prophets, all these things have already been done. Surely except that they didn’t have computers but the lack of didn’t stop them from living modernly like us – for their time at least. I wish that I can make it a very serious point to everyone that sticking to your own kind restricts you to just one opinion which can ultimately delay you from your own wishful goals. Goals, though they may sound wishful, can definitely be achieved by having the right kind of support groups. It may seem too far-fetched to want to have something or be someone but nothing is impossible. I tell you that.

So anyway, my family, and me, we’re the sort of peeps who just LOVE to be put in very competitive settings. We’ve played basketball, volleyball, bingo lotto, badminton, bowling, ping pong, Monopoly, Scrabble, UNO AND rock-paper-scissors (we’re very capable of making it very painful). And so yesterday began another trend in using Kinect as a medium to bring us all together while at the same time making us want to rip off each others’ heads and squish each of our eyeballs. It was so much fun! The day was a tournament in itself and though by the end of the day we were all very fatigued and want to cry, my little cousin and I battled it out at dancing! I think it was better than just sitting around the TV. Now we STAND around the TV and impatiently wait for our turns hehe.

Yesterday was a great start to the New Year. I am loving every single one of everyone and I am very very thankful to be part of something so precious and affectionate. Through all our screams and pointing at each other laughing, we all love each other and through thick and thin I know we’ll stand up for each other no matter what. I don’t think we need to give a toss to anything, for all we know we’ve been tossing to life all this while =)

No comments:

Post a Comment